Sunday, June 29, 2008

FUN MONDAY - Quirks quarks quarts

It’s FUN MONDAY time again are our lovely host, not just in body but in sprit, is Lisa over at Lisa's Chaos. I know her best as, the “Bandit” with a bow.



The Host -
Lisa from Lisa's Chaos



The Assignment - Lisa would like to what our quirks are. A quirk is defined as a peculiarity of action, behavior, or personality; mannerism. We are all unique individuals, having quirks that help make us who we are. Confess to one, confess to ten, you decide. Just come back Monday ready to spill the beans, the rest of the world may look at you like you are from Mars, but you‘re among friends here. We won’t laugh, in fact that eccentricity just may endear you to us more.




The first thing that came to mind when I heard about this weeks FM is a game the Fencing Team played. Yes, I fenced back in the day. No, not barbed wire or chain link. You need to realize in fencing you spend a lot of time starring at you opponent. Anyway we would play game (sort of on the order of charades’) who am I. We would imitate another fencer and say “Who am I”. What was funny about this game is if we pick someone from our own team - they almost never could identify themselves, the rest of the team would just howl. I think we can see other quirks much better than we can spot our own but here goes - for I do like to consider myself unique and special.



1. I can’t spell - this is no secret. I am well aware of the fact, I can’t spell. If it weren’t for spell check you wouldn’t have a clue what I’m writing about. As it is you only have to decipher the occasional wrong word, deal with the wrong tense, and the complete lack of grammar. I don’t punctuate either, well I try but I’m sure in the wrong spots. It seam to be a running gag among my friends and the source of great amusement.

2. I like points completely useless point they don’t have to be connected to any prize or game just points. I see them as hugs without all that touchy feely stuff. But I wonder if I also see them as I kind of approval? Or if it is my completive nature rearing it’s ugly head? I realized I had a problem with this when my mother passed away back in 2000, and I was competing to have the best flower arrangement in the cemetery. Every week I would drive over and check the graves, I had to change out the flowers every month, and would be completely crushed if someone some one visited the grave and didn’t say how nice the arrangement was. I was joneing bad. Can’t recall the exact time I realized what I was doing, but it wasn’t till after I had a real chance to morn my mother‘s death. I still go and change out the arrangements (when I’m in the area) but I try and put flowers out that my mother would enjoy and I no longer feel this need to win.

3. I kick my right foot when I trying to fall asleep but can’t. I realized that the entire family is aware of this quark as one of the great grand babies was put down for a nap and he was kicking is right leg, and everyone thought it was so cute he was imitating Great Auntie. Brat!

4. I blow air up into my face when I frustrated or over stressed. I also sometime make motor sounds for the same reason.

5. I use the term “I’m going to kill” or “stab you” when I reality I’m not. Well at least not kill you. But my sister has taken all the knives out of the house to keep me from stabbing the “Old One”.
Truth is I think he is going to break her before he does me.


6. I asked a friend what one of my quirks were - he said I was too nice. I think this is BS but I need to get to 10 so that I can get all the points and win. LOL

7. I regular carry on conversation with myself in my head and do simple math problems, some time at the same time.

8. I check out shopping carts - I fear I will become a bag person and want to be prepared. Lowes is the present winner but Sam’s club is running a close second.

9. I ask another friend and all she came up with is I can’t spell - yep know that one.

10. I don’t really have a number 10 just including it thinking by now you have gotten tired of reading this blog and will give me points lots and lots of points.

Thanks for stopping by - now go a check out the other quirky people over at Lisa's Chaos

27 comments:

SwampAngel65 said...

For this post, I hearby award you 3472 points.

Now..divide that by 52, multiply that by 4589.7, then divide your answer by pi. If you get it right, you get 1 bonus point ;)

You forgot your need to moon people. That's a quirk. A big white one! hehehehe

Anonymous said...

Who needs spelling? Show-offs, all those spelling bee contestants. Don't they know about spell-check? Geesh.

Heather said...

227 point to you.

I am constantly doing math problems in my head. I think it might have been how I kept from getting bored in school as a kid.

And I am a bit of a spelling geek - can't read something and not notice a spelling error. (Except my own writing!)

Anonymous said...

Points? What is with the points? That in itself would be a quirk. One that you forgot to number.

Tiggerlane said...

Crap, we were supposed to have TEN? I just lost points.

Funny thing, I like to pick out the casket pieces - and I want points, too. Then again, I DO have a horrible competitive streak.

Ari_1965 said...

A small chain of stores here in town called Kowalski's has these small carts. I figure I could become known as the clutter-free bag lady.

Unknown said...

Sorry but your quirks are lost on me as I am in the middle of an "Ah-HA" moment. You left little crumbs but all these months I never knew it was you until tonight when I happened to comment after a Scruff comment and then came over here to read about bandit with a bow and if this is so, your biggest quirk is definitely that you are too nice. I would not know about the big white moon, thankfully. :) XO

I have troubles of my own with Math, a certain mathman to be exact giving me grief but a lil CutiePi said she'd help me even the score.

Anonymous said...

I spell words rather than do math problems in my head. I also make up melodies in my head and visualize the notes on the music staff as I'm singing along to myself, but I'm a music teacher so maybe that isn't a quirk. And, by the way, I have pierced ears. I think you asked that question in your comment.

Sai Hijara - Ferraris said...

Enjoy your list to the bottom...I always finish reading list...is that a quirk?! LOL

And well, they say if you can't beat them, confuse them...so it's fine to misspell! :P

Happy Monday!

Jeanna said...

I can't spell either, and I'm a writer. That's very funny about the shopping carts, and I envy you about your fencing skills. I took one class and totally sucked. But maybe that explains why you like points so much.

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

Oh my gosh, I love the shopping cart thing. You never know...it could come in handy! Oh, and I can't spell either (and I was a teacher...shhhhh!)

Hootin Anni said...

Oh oh...well, you're #1 I see is very true. But I would blame it on the keyboard and not point out the inability of spelling. Your 'starring' at your opponent? Looks like a typo to me. S T A R I N G. [couldn't resist after your quirky confession] All in fun, of course.

My FM is posted...come on over!!

Debs said...

I also blow air up in my face or "sigh" when I am stressed or upset about something.

Nikki said...

Shopping carts are so useful!

nikki

Hula Girl at Heart said...

I give you 100 points for making me laugh. I check out shopping carts...but I like to see what people have in them. I'm very judgemental about other people's groceries. Bad Hula, bad Hula.

Aoj and The Lurchers said...

Kick your right foot!? That's weird!!

Jo Beaufoix said...

Hee hee, swampangel got there first, but I award you 1000000 points as you made me laugh, especially with number 8. :D

Anglophile Football Fanatic said...

I took fencing in college. I totally understand what you mean.

Irish Coffeehouse said...

You are too funny! Great list. I hereby grant you all the points awarded to me for this challenge.

Sorry, but I'm too competitive to give you all my points from every Fun Monday. :)

Anonymous said...

OMG, the shopping cart checking out is killing me, or stabbing my gut. Either or! hahaha

Faye said...

I too have a cart thing. I check out what people buy in the grocery store and make character judgments(I think judgment needs an "e" but since you can't spell, you won't know the difference, will you?) Do you think we should get help for our uncertainty and judgment issues? You do the phoning since you can talk to yourself and do simple math problems in your head at the same time. Just tell me where to show up.

Molly said...

Well, you have 21 comments and that may be the biggest number that I have seen today. Plus, for not being able to spell or punctuate, you do rather well. (I can spell, but can't type so my words end up misspelled anyway.)

Alison said...

OK..I will give you 572 points for this one..and I loved the shopping cart one...made me giggle!!!

Anonymous said...

I award you all the points you wanted, nice post

Unknown said...

Too funny on the shopping carts!!

Jan said...

This is a really funny post. Most of these things seem kinda normal to me. I'm not to competitive, but I understand the point thing, and I give you 650 points.

Sayre said...

I don't kick my foot to sleep, but I have to have one foot out from under the covers no matter how cold it is.